Baked vacherin mont d’or, served warm fondu-style with potatoes, ham and cornichons to dip into the rich,tangy cheese.
You can serve this with anything you want, but a mixture of tastes and textures is essential.
Serves 4 as a starter
- 450g/16oz vacherin mont d’or in its wooden box
- A few sprigs of thyme, cut into short lengths
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- A splash of white wine
- A couple of ratte or pink fir apple potatoes per person, boiled and still warm, to serve
- Cooked English ham, shredded or sliced, to serve
- Cornichons or pickles, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 400F/Gas 6. Take the lid off the cheese box and place on a baking tray.
- Make slits in the cheese with a knife and stick the thyme and garlic slices into the holes.
- Season with pepper, pour over a splash of wine and place in the oven for 8–10 minutes until completely soft.
- Serve while still hot with the warm potatoes, ham and cornichons.